Friday, March 3, 2017

Artist Spotlight - Randi Zafman

 

Annie, thank you so much for inviting me to be part of your Artist Spotlight. I am honored to be included among so many talented creatives.

Tell us a bit about yourself: Did you go to school for art? Are you self taught? 
I have been drawing my whole life. One of my earliest, art making memories was when I was about four years old. I remember hiding my crayons and markers in my bed, under the covers. Once my parents tucked me in and left my room, I stood on my bed and colored on the wall. The next morning, my parents came in and saw my artwork and although they were very pleased with what I created, they just wished it wasn’t on the wall. That very day, they repainted, bought a huge roll of white butcher paper, and created a place for my daily murals. I was lucky to always have a lot of support from my family in my art endeavors. I was the kid that used to take the jar of peanut butter and the cereal box, and draw it. This was my first, early interest in package design. I have been obsessed with the anatomy and structure of letterforms ever since. While still in high school, I started taking college-level art classes in design, typography, and watercolor. Armed with a professional set of Winsor & Newton watercolors, sable brushes and an Arches block, I began my life-long, love affair with watercolor. I then studied drawing and painting, graphic design and illustration, and received a BA in Fine Arts.

Do you work in just one medium? Several?
I was trained in many artistic disciplines, but watercolor is, and always will be, my favorite. My watercolor illustrations and lettering are created traditionally, by hand. I crave that tactile sensation of brush, paint and paper. I draw and paint everything in watercolor, gouache, and ink. I then scan my artwork into Photoshop and edit with the Apple pencil on my iPad Pro.



What inspires you / where do you get inspiration from?
I was born and raised in Los Angeles, where I still live today. I love to start my day with a long walk. Inspiration is everywhere, from the mid century, art deco and Spanish architecture, to the wonderful shops that are all around me. By the time I get back home, I can’t wait to get working in my studio.

How did you start licensing your art?
I started working as a graphic designer and art director back in the days before computers. I freelanced and worked in-house, and did everything from traditional graphics to illustration for giftware and stationery companies. It was so amazing to see my work in stores and on products. I’ve done artwork for unusual things things like boxer shorts and credit cards to more typical products like packaging and greeting cards.

What are you working on now?
I have this huge list of ideas and things I want to create. I have the problem of too many ideas and never enough hours in the day. I make sketches and color studies, so that they can one day become finished pieces. Every day feels like an exciting, new opportunity.



Any great advice for our readers?
Life is short, do what you love and follow your artistic dreams. Stay true to your style, but be open to letting it evolve. Enjoy the creative process, be present, and see where it takes you. You never know what you may discover about your art and yourself.

Anything else you would like to share with us?
I am represented by Liz Sanders Agency. Having an agent has been a goal of mine and Liz is wonderful to work with. I am so looking forward to all we can do together.

Are you an early riser? or night owl?
I am definitely an early bird and always have been. I have the most energy in the morning. Some of my best design solutions have come to me in my dreams, so I like to work when the ideas are fresh.

What is your favorite food?
Sushi for sure. The first time I tried it I was at a sweet sixteen in Little Tokyo and it has become my all time favorite food.





You can find Randi
INSTAGRAM: instagram.com/randizafman
WEBSITE: randizafman.com


Want to be spotlighted? email me info@AnnGraphics.com. I am looking forward to your comments and thanks for sharing this great information on social media.

 

Make my day! and Buy me a cup of coffee (PayPal Link in right side bar, you don't need a PayPal acct.)

 Don't want to miss the good stuff? Sign up for my newsletter ;-)

 

 

4 comments:

  1. Annie, thank you so much for featuring me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Annie, Randi and I are both sooooooo appreciative of the time taken with this interview. LOVE. IT.
      You are such a positive & valued spirit within the licensing world.

      Delete
    2. So Welcome Randi! I appreciate you taking the time to be spotlighted :-D

      Delete
    3. Thanks so very much "unknown" :-D

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...