Friday, January 30, 2015

Peek into Creating Art for Licensing - Patriotic


Happy Friday Creative Souls!

I like to see how other artist create their work. Everyone creates a bit differently. These are progress photos for acrylic paint on canvas panel. I have done this a bit backwards. If I were creating a 'typical' painting I might paint the entire background and then paint the detail on top. It just depends on what I want when I am finished.

First I sketch out ideas - in this case 'icons' for a patriotic theme. Nothing fancy, this is computer printer paper. I also make some notes, so that as I am painting these I don't forget what I was thinking! (click on images to see them larger).


Next I clean up and re-draw to scale of the canvas panel I will be painting on. For this collection I scribbled on the back of my drawing with pencil so I could trace/transfer it on to the canvas panel. The largest panel is 8x10 so it will fit on my scanner.


Jump in and start to paint! I paint the 'icon' first so that I can scan it in an drop out the background easily.


Time to scan, These do have quite a bit of texture - some of it will get lost when you scan it and color correct. You could take photos to capture more texture.


Once I have the isolated icons scanned in, I finish the paintings and then scan them in again. Since I do paint some background only panels - I don't know that I need to do this step, but it does give me a few more options.


Now it is computer time to set up patterns and product mocks! Taaaa Daaaaa!


Do you paint with acrylics? How do you use that medium to create art for licensing? I would love to hear from you! Thanks for stopping by :-)


14 comments:

  1. Annie,
    Thank you so much for this terrific and timely post about creating collections. Since I have decided to take the leap and join the new site ArtLicensingShow.com, I realize that I am waaaayyyy behind in creating collections and/or how it's done. Totally appreciate and thank you for turning on the light bulb.
    kandyce art studio

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kandyce! Great to "see" you :-)
      Their isn't one right way to do this AND some artist just create the images/paintings, They don't do the mock ups. Here is an example of a friend of mine that just creates the art http://whimzicals.com She is represented by Artworks!

      Stay in touch! would love to see what your are up to! Be sure to connect with me on ArtLicensingShow.com :-)

      Delete
  2. I don't have collections, per se, but I pretty much do the same thing with my art. I sometimes am afraid that when I move past a certain area of the painting, I'll mess things up so I like to have the part I like "saved". Great to see how you do things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alyice! I just responded to you on your facebook comment - for those visiting here:

      I know several artist who do not create collections. I really like your idea of saving the parts you do like! Thanks for stopping by the blog :-)

      Delete
  3. Will keep you up to date and connect with you on ArtLicensingShow.com. I have a couple of children's books out that I am trying to figure out how to make them fit in "collections"....but would love to take some of my existing paintings and apply it to licensing with icons, borders, and patterns....lots to do.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GREAT! I am thinking of starting a chat group on ArtLicensingShow.com - I am not sure how it will work :-)

      Delete
  4. Interesting post! Thank you for sharing. It's always good to see how artists create!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janine! Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting - keep in touch :-)

      Delete
  5. Thanks, Annie! This was so fun to see how you do this! You are such a generous artist and we (as a community) are lucky to be a part of your ride!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth!! So great of you to stop by the blog! Thanks for such kind words! :-) I will have to do a post like this again down the road, maybe watercolors... :-D

      Delete
    2. LOVE! How can I join the Art Licensing group?

      Delete
    3. Hey Teresa - THANKS for stopping by the blog - I really appreciate it. Are you talking about a Linkedin Group, Facebook Group - you just request to join. Email me if that isn't helpful anntroe@cox.net

      Delete
  6. That's really nice! Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...