Friday, January 9, 2015

Artist Spotlight - Nancy Lemon






Tell us a bit about yourself: Did you go to school for art? Are you self taught?
I have been drawing since I was able to wield a crayon!  I have a Bachelor of Fine Arts from Clemson University and completed graduate studies in illustration at the Portfolio Center in Atlanta, GA.

What inspires you / where do you get inspiration from?
I get inspiration from nature, old photographs, making silly lists (ex: "Things that make me happy", "simple pleasures", "in the kitchen") and then drawing them, going to the library to look at children's books. Walking can be a bit like meditating, and it helps if I ever get stuck. So sometimes I'll pop my little girl in the stroller and daydream as we cruise around the neighborhood. Many times, she sparks ideas, as the world is still very new to her. It is very inspirational to see her get excited by birds or the moon.

Do you work in just one medium? Several?
I am a bit ADD (I prefer the term 'curious') when it comes to materials, and I work in several...pencil, pen & ink, watercolor, gouache and digitally. Lately I have returned to carving my own stamps, stencils and linocuts. I love the smell of printing ink!

What are you working on now?
One of my pieces was recently used as a wallpaper for WeTransfer.

As it is the new year, I am busy taking stock and am tasking myself with creating a set of about 12-15 mixed media pieces of vintage ladies inspired by a stack of old photographs a friend gave me. In addition to this, I am really working on putting more into my Etsy store and my Society 6 store, focusing on printmaking.

Anything else you want to tell everyone?
I am fairly new to art licensing, but am experienced in illustration and graphic design. I've finally realized that to succeed in an artistic career, you also have to think in terms of your art as a business.  (Yes, this seems obvious, but for a long time I was wrapped up in just creating.) After writing out a business plan and some daily, monthly, and yearly goals, I am excited for all of the possibilities this new year will hold!

Are you an early riser? or night owl?

It just hit me today that while I fancy myself a night owl, I am really more creative in the morning.  However, with a toddler and a job, I have to fit in the art work wherever I can, so I guess I am just a cuckoo clock bird, fitting into whatever time is available!  

What is your favorite food?
This is hard...as I am a big fan of all food! I would probably have to go with sushi, as I only eat it as a special treat. :)

You can find Nancy:
Email: nelemon@gmail.com   

Phone: 843.709.6411

Blog: lemonstree.com  

Website: nancylemon.com



THANK YOU for stopping by my blog!
Do you want to be spotlighted? Send me an email: anntroe@cox.net
Make my day and follow this blog :-D

3 comments:

  1. I love your spontaneity and thought process, Nancy. A good way to get inspiration for sure, and delightful images.. An interesting read... Wishing you much success in your journey and joy along the way. Thanks as always Ann for these insights into the minds of other artists.. Always a good read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Jo! You are so kind. I'm glad you liked my work and my words. ;-) Have a great day! -Nancy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...